Friday, February 24, 2006

February 2006 Book Reviews

1. Birds Without Wings, Louis de Bernieres, Rating: 4.3
The writing in this book is gorgeous. I frequently found myself stunned by the imagery contained in a single sentence. Seriously. The plot is just okay, and wanders a bit, but to see some really fine examples of someone who knows how to craft a sentence, read this book.
2. The Constant Princess, Philipa Gregory, Rating: 3.2
This is the latest from the woman that wrote the trilogy Bonaparte's wife that I read a few months back. It's no better or worse than her other books (in other words, pretty interesting, slightly formulaic). This one covers the life of Katherine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry the Eighth.
3. Freakonomics, Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, Rating: 4.0
It's hard not to find this book interesting--it's wide ranging and comes up with fascinating conclusions. Considering it's a book on economics, it's a real page turner.
4. Dark Star Safari, Paul Theroux, Rating: 2.3
I haven't made up my mind about Paul Theroux yet. I really want to like him. I actually want to like any writer that covers lots of ground and tells about it in a compelling way. This book is not a success. Theroux really comes across as a snob (as he always does; it's just intensified this time), and the book feels forced. I didn't actually finish it, but I'm including it because I got pretty darn close before deciding life's to short to read frustrating books.
5. Honey Don't, Tim Sandlin, Rating: 2.0
I love Tim Sandlin. His Grovont trilogy is absolutely hilarious. This, his most recent book, is not. It's actually pretty lame. It makes me sad.

No comments: