Thursday, September 15, 2005

Elese's Top 10

I had a bit of inspiration this afternoon--rather than subjecting all of you to my book opinions, I can draw on my friends. The idea is to post a bunch of top ten lists, in hopes that we'll get a better selection of books. I'll add personal comments from time to time. Elese is the first to contribute (and had trouble limiting the list to 10; I suspect that will become the norm). These are listed in no particular order:

The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway) [alicia's note: I prefer A Farewell to Arms, but you really can't go wrong with Hemingway. There's also a great biography out about one of his wives, who was a pioneering war reporter: Gellorn: A Twentieth-Century Life, By Caroline Moorehead).]
The Sheltering Sky (Paul Bowles) [AB: awesome]
Burmese Days (George Orwell)
Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
This Earth of Mankind (Pramoedya Ananta Toer)
Drop City (T.C. Boyle)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
Tom Wolfe in general, but none of his books in particular [AB: The Right Stuff is a good one to start with]
Same goes with Bret Easton Ellis
The Art of Travel (Alain de Botton)
Lonesome Dove (Larry McMurtry)
Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs (John Bowe, ed.)

(The last two are books I love but they're also two of my favorites to recommend to people)

From AB: I've read 10 of these 12. You really can't go wrong with any. Elese has very good taste.

No comments: